Plenty of young women want to learn how to become a successful in business. The problem is, success means so many different things to so many different people. And everyone has a different path that is right for them.
There’s information overload, and it can become confusing when you are looking for career advice, especially if you are just getting started.
Here are some answers to some of the biggest career questions and advice for wherever you are in your career.
What is the Difference Between a Job and a Career?
Having a job and having a career are two completely separate things. You could have numerous jobs, but when you have a career in something, you have chosen to dedicate yourself to a certain field.
A career takes a significant portion of someone’s life. There will be opportunities within their career to grow and level up, but you remain in the same field.
Ignore everyone telling you to have it all figured out. You have time to find a career! Many people even switch careers later on in life or work a job until they discover what they want to do. Never let anyone make you feel like its too late to try something new!
Why is it so Hard to Choose a Career?
There’s a lot of pressure placed on young adults’ shoulders to make a career decision. You should be careful when choosing what you want to spend most of your time in, but there’s a lot of decisions to make when it comes to how you want your life to progress, so take your time!
When choosing your career path, you have to think about a lot of different variables. What makes you happy? What will make you money? Are you willing to settle in one area to accomplish in another?
For example, if you were at a job that made you a lot of money but took away some of your happiness, would you be okay with that?
On the reverse side, if you had a job that made you really happy, but you couldn’t pay your bills… are you really living to your full potential? It really depends on what you value most.
What to Ask Yourself when Choosing a Career
A lot of young women have career goals early on, but a lot of young women take their time to figure it out.
If you are stuck, ask yourself these questions:
- What do you like to do?
- Are you an extrovert or an introvert?
- Should you work for someone else or should you work for yourself?
- Do you imagine yourself building a business one day?
- Do you see yourself becoming a successful business woman? (whatever that means to you)
- Do you want to work many hours, or do you want to eventually have a lot of time at home?
You should be extremely honest with yourself when answering these questions.
What is the Secret to Being Successful?
If there is any secret to being extremely good in any career – it’s your skills. When you become a master in your field, you increase your value. People (and bosses!!) gravitate towards the person that adds the most value.
For example, you want a career as a doctor, you will spend years developing the skills to be good at your job. If you want to run a business, you also need to develop the skills to do so.
Try this Activity: Choosing a Career
- Take out a piece of paper and set yourself a timer for five minutes.
- Write down every single thing that you love to do. Write down what makes you excited and sets you on fire. If you get stuck, write down the first thing that comes to your mind. Keep doing this until the five minutes are up.
2. Imagine looking at it from a different perspective.
- Pretend that you were just handed a piece of paper that describes someone. What do you think that person would be good at doing? What would a basic entry-level job that person look like? If that person wanted to double their salary – what skills, courses, or classes would they have to accomplish to do so?
3. Reflect on this person as you.
- What would you have to do to make yourself more valuable to get the extra pay raise? If you become a successful entrepreneur, how would you add the most value to people’s lives? Could you become the next Oprah Winfrey? Could you eventually give career advice to other young women?
At the end of the day choosing a career is choosing how you’re going to spend most of your life. We highly suggest doing something that you’re passionate about. Find what fulfills you, financially and mentally.
What does success look like to you? Define it, then write it down. Make a mantra and repeat it every day. Write it on a mirror. Put post-its around the house. Hone your skills.
If you work on yourself daily and learn how to add value to the lives of people around you, you will absolutely be successful.