Leadership is commonly spoken of, but how does being a leader in 2020 differ from being a leader in general? The world is changing, and due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our world is becoming strongly influenced more and more by an online presence and social media.
This being said, leaders are in high demand. So many people are searching for answers and looking for the individuals that can give them.
What is Leadership, and Who is a Leader?
There are many leaders in our everyday lives. A mother is in a leadership role to her children, a manager is in a leadership role in his company, a news anchor is in a leadership role to the community, etc.
What does leadership really mean? In its simplest form, leadership is the ability to influence a group of people to act towards a certain goal.
If you are a leader, you have the ability to influence people.
What Makes a Good Leader in 2020?
Being a good leader comes with responsibility. There is a difference between talking the talk and walking the walk. This statement alone is why a lot of people get upset with people that are in a leadership role or a position of authority.
When someone is supposed to be positively leading and guiding by example, and they don’t, it leads to conflict.
Being a good leader is putting yourself aside and doing what is right to achieve a result, encouraging others to succeed in a workspace, and having the confidence and ability to make decisions methodically and thoroughly.
Being a leader at work in 2020 is extremely difficult. You have to encourage and help guide individuals through a zoom meeting, phone conference, or through social media. A lot of individuals are not as motivated and as a leader, you have to be able to push your team forward.
9 Tips for being a better leader at work
- Powerful Mindset
- Your mindset is EVERYTHING.
- If you are not in a good state of mind, nothing else matters.
- Start your day off with a good morning routine to get your mind ready for the day
- If You Do, They Do
- If you are engaged, fired up, and motivated, it is infectious. Your team will follow your lead and will be more engaged than not having your influence.
- Decision Making
- A good leader knows how to look at a situation quickly and be decisive.
- Understand that decision making requires courage and tapping into your own personal power.
- Conflict Resolution
- Being a leader is having the social intelligence to be able to resolve conflicts between parties while making everyone involved feel heard and important.
- Implementing Goals
- The ability to help others see a brighter future is key to every great leader
- When implementing goals, leaders put markers for employees to hit so that they feel more accomplished.
- Creating Culture
- Culture is so important for an organization. It helps employees feel loyal and that they are apart of something great that they contribute to.
- When leaders continuously add to the culture they help support the foundation the culture thrives off of.
- Growing Others
- If your team isn’t growing, they feel like they are dying.
- Leaders equip their teams with opportunities for growth and development.
- A team is only as valuable as its weakest link.
- The leaders should take the individuals with the smallest experience and help them develop the skills and understanding to be better.
- Leaders should also continuously develop the people that do have more experience in higher skillsets and create additional leaders.
- When a leader is selfless and gives to others, it is appreciated in a different kind of way.
- Having the respect from your team and pouring back into your team will not only develop them more, but it will also fulfill you as a leader.
- In the same way, encouraging your team to give back into the community and enforcing an attitude of gratitude will change the way your company does business for the better.
- Think Outside of The Box!
- Because of 2020 and how the world is today, you have to be innovative.
- You have to think of ways to inspire your team while not being around them to make sure they are following through on their tasks.
- Get creative!
How to be a Leader
Being a leader is an attitude. If you are not in a leadership position yet, be a leader with your actions, your kindness, and your presence. Do more than what is asked of you.
Developing yourself as a leader will only serve you in your future. Having influence over people is powerful, and if you can earn other’s respect, you will be able to do incredible things.